Meeting of the Synod of Bishops
Of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
The meeting of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad occurred on April 15\28, 2010, at the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael rectory in Odessa.
Attendees: The Most Reverend Agafangel, Metropolitan of Eastern America and New York, First Hierarch and Chairman of the ROCA Synod of Bishops; the Very Reverend Andronik, Archbishop of Ottawa and Canada, Vice Chairman of the Synod of Bishops; Sofroniy, Archbishop of St. Petersburg and Northern Russia; Georgiy, Bishop of Bolgrad and Belgorod-Dnestrovsk, Synod of Bishops Secretary; Afanasiy, Bishop of Vologodsk and Veliko-Ustyuzhsk; Gregory, Bishop of Sao Paulo and South America.
The Synod meeting began at 1150 intoning “Christ is Risen…”
The Chairman presented the agenda.
Resolved: To accept the agenda of the meeting of the Synod of Bishops as follows:
1. Discussion of the Theological Committee of the ROCA Synod of Bishops.
2. Procedures for issuing documents to the clergy.
1. Discussed: The mandate and work of the Theological Committee; the members of
the committee and its pending tasks.
The Chairman spoke of the critical need for the members of the Theological Committee to begin the work of preserving and cataloging the archives of the Church Abroad, wherever they can found. The minutes of the meetings of the Bishops’ Councils and ROCA Synod Abroad are an invaluable treasure and are our legacy. It is very important that these materials be collected and posted on the Internet. They must be available to all who desire to learn from our Fathers.
The bishops discussed ways in which existing archives in South America and elsewhere can be preserved.
Discussed: Creating a summary of available documents that explain the traditional principles of the ROCA when meeting with members of other faiths.
Resolved: The Chairman of the Theological Committee will be required once or twice a year to provide a list of members to the Synod for approval.
The following list of members of the Theological Committee of the Synod of Bishops is approved:
1. B. Georgiy
2. B. Afanasiy
3. B. Dionisiy
4. Archpriest Valeriy Alekseyev
5. Archpriest Constantine Bussygin
6. Archpriest Oleg Mironov
7. Archpriest Roman Kravets
8. Fr. Victor Dobrov
9. Fr. Evgeniy Koryagin
10. Fr. Leonid Plyats
11. Konstantin Glazkov
The Theological Committee is instructed to:
- begin the work of preserving the archives of the ROCA
- create a summary of available documents that explain the traditional principles of the ROCA when meeting with members of other faiths.
2. Discussed: The Chairman presented the procedure for issuing documents.
Resolved: Only the ukase designating the place a priest is assigned to, along with a few
other essential documents will be issued. All other documents in a cleric’s “personal file” (including certificates of release), will be kept in the chanceries of each diocese or given to the diocese chancery of the priest’s new assigned location.
3. Abp. Andronik nominated Archpriest Oleg Mironov to receive a palitsa.
Resolved: To award Archpriest Oleg Mironov with a palitsa
The Chairman nominates:
- to elevate Archpriest Valeriy Alekseyev to Protopresbyter
- to elevate Fr. Vasiliy Demchenko to Archpriest
- to elevate Fr. Vyacheslav Zaburyan to Archpriest
- to elevate Fr. Leonid Plyats to Archpriest
- to award Hegumena Aleksandra (Chernyavskaya) the right to wear a cross with jewels
Abp. Sofroniy nominates:
- to elevate Fr. Gennadiy Subbotin to Archpriest
- to award Fr. Aleksandr Shchipakin the right to wear a golden cross
- to award Fr. Igor Dubrov the right to wear a golden cross
- to elevate Sister Sofroniiya (Veshnyakova) to hegumen and the right to wear a cross
- As specified.
4. Abp. Sofroniy asks what rights All-Diaspora Council delegates have during the time
period between councils.
Answer: The only right such individuals have is to participate in the next All-Diaspora Council.
Discussed: when the next meeting of the Synod of Bishops will take place.
Resolved: The next meeting of the Synod of Bishops will take place from September 3\16 to 5\18, 2010, at the Holy Theophany of Our Lord Jesus Christ monastery in the St. Petersburg diocese.
The meeting of the Synod of Bishops concluded at 1400.
+ Metropolitan Agafangel
+ Archbishop Andronik
+ Bishop Afanasiy
+ Bishop Gregory