Meeting of the
November 5\18, 2009
Held in the
Attendees: the Most Reverend Bishop Georgiy (Commission Chairman), the Most Reverend Bishop Afanasiy (substituting for Fr. Aleksandr Lipin), Archpriest Valeriy Alekseyev, Archpriest Roman Kravets, Fr. Yevgeniy Koryagin, Fr. Leonid Plyats. Reader A. M. Khitrov attended at the invitation of the Chairman.
1. Discussion of Old Believers
2. Discussion of Orthodoxy and today’s world
3. Discussion of Czar Ivan the Terrible
4. Discussion of those who separated from
5. Discussion of future work of the Ecclesiastical Commission
1. Discussed: The relationship between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Old Believers before the Revolution until today should be examined more closely, especially the many opinions written by Metropolitans Anthony and Anastasy.
Decided: Reader A. M. Khitrov will prepare a full report.
2. (A) Discussed: The normalizing of relations between the MP and the
Ecumenical Patriarchate in
Decided: Submit a proposal to the ROCA Synod of Bishops to
discuss with representatives of the Old Calendar Churches of
(B) Discussed: the letter from Serbian Patriarch Pavle to the Bishops’ Council in 2000, and the
concelebrating of a number of
Decided: Ask the Synod of Bishops to issue a statement explaining why it is not permissible to concelebrate with bishops or clergy of the so-called “World Orthodoxy.”
3. Discussed: the controversies surrounding Ivan the Terrible, Gregory Rasputin, and others, which remain hotly debated.
Decided: the Ecclesiastical Commission recommends to the Synod of Bishops that discussions regarding such individuals have no place in the Church.
4. Discussed: Those groups who separated
The first school believes
these groups must return to our Church, but it is clear they will not, which
makes this approach untenable. Meanwhile, while we are divided, and this
deepens with time, the MP is actively persecuting the former parts of the ROCA,
like ROAC in Suzdal, the diocese of Bishop Anastasy (Surzhik) in the
The second school
believes we can begin a dialogue, reconcile, and establish Eucharistic
communion without being in one administrative body. Then, while being
together on the same canonical territory, work on slowly uniting
together. This would be a temporary situation until the Local Council of
All agreed that talks
should be limited to the RTOC, ROAC, and
Decided: After a spirited discussion, all agreed that it was essential to continue meeting with representatives of the “groups who separated before May 17,” to determine each other’s ecclesiastical views and intentions.
5. Discussed: The
Chairman spoke of how the work of the Ecclesiastical commission should be
organized. It is important that reports be prepared carefully and
seriously, and work based on sources should be conducted likewise. The
members heard an explanation of how such work should be performed by Reader A. Khitrov, a graduate student of the
The Chairman proposed to create an Archaeography commission.
Decided: The Ecclesiastical commission should address questions whenever they arise, in accordance with requests made by the Synod of Bishops.
The Commission meeting concluded at 1600 with the prayer “It is Truly meet…”.
Archpriest Valeriy Alekseyev
Archpriest Roman Kravets
Fr. Yevgeniy Koryagin
Fr. Leonid Plyats